Sunday, September 19, 2010

The Best Homemade Meatballs

This recipe came from the new Family Fun magazine...it wasn't so much the meatball recipe that caught my attention but the meatball minestrone soup that was under this one. Well if I wanted to make the soup I needed to make the meatballs first. I am not a meatball making person...honestly I sometimes just don't have the patience to sit and roll them all so they aren't made here very often. I used to buy the ones at the store that we really liked, but I'm pretty sure there are things in there that I don't want to know about. This recipe made about 80 meatballs and I used almost 3 lbs of meatloaf/meatball mix that included: beef, pork, and veal.

The Best Homemade Meatballs-shared from Family Fun magazine
3 lbs ground meat(sug. turkey, beef, and pork)
1 10 oz pkg frozen, chopped spinach, thawed and drained well(omitted I had none!)
1/2 cup parmesan cheese(omitted, as I ran out!)
3 large eggs, beaten
2 tbsp italian seasoning
2 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp salt
1tsp red pepper flakes
1/2 cup breadcrumbs or panko

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

In a large bowl combine all ingredients throughly but do not over mix. Pinch off a tsp at a time...or I acutally use my small cookie scoop to get the same amount and then I roll them. Place on rimmed cooked sheet. Bake for 20-25 mins until they are browned and cooked through. **Mine only took about 15 mins because they were smaller.

**Usually when I make meatballs they seem dry and unflavorful...hence another reason I don't make them very often. I picked up the meatloaf mix at Bj's(which is a bulk food store) so I decided to make it all into meatballs and freeze them. These were awesome, tasty, and moist! They were even better the next day! My brother in law and sister in law loved them as well. We used them in meatball grinders(sub,s hoagies, or sandwiches!)

1 comment:

  1. About how many meatballs would this make? I am looking to make medium meatballs for meatball subs and this recipe looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete