Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Maple Apple Pork Roast

It's that time of year again in New England...Apple picking time!! We are headed out this weekend to go with some friends of ours, but I wanted to use up some apples I already had in the fridge. I saw this recipe and had to try it! It sounded perfect for a fall day! It was easy too!

Now knowing my crock pot the way I do I knew if I put in the apples at the beginning I'd get mush...so I held off a couple of hours before I added in the carrots and apples. This crock pot tends to cook my food REALLY fast even on low and the other one just got recalled, so I worked with what I had.

Maple Apple Pork Roast-shared from Finding Joy in My Kitchen
2-4 lb pork roast
1/2 cup apple juice
1/4 cup pure maple syrup
1 lb bag baby carrots
3-4 apples, sliced
1/2 tsp ginger
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp pepper
1 tsp salt

Place roast in crock pot. Mix together juice and syrup, pour over roast. Combine together spices and sprinkle over roast. Set on low for 6 hours.

*Snowhite originally put in the carrots first and then the apples, topped with the pork. I put in the pork, waited about 2-3 hours then pulled the roast out, put in the carrots and apples and put the pork back on top for the remainder of the time.

**This smelled very good while it cooked! The meat was juicy and tender and pretty flavorful. Next time I will rotate the meat half way through as the bottom half you could really taste the apple/syrup, but the top half not so much ,but it got lots of flavor from the seasoning. The apples like I suspected, turned to mush...ick. But the carrots were perfectly cooked for us, and very sweet and tasty from the juice mix. The apples could have gone to mush b/c of the kind I used, but it was all still tasty! Q loved the carrots!

3 comments:

  1. Apples and pork are such an awesome flavor combo :) Sounds good, I'll have to make this some cold day soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you enjoyed it - our apples cooked down too... not much for eating at that point, but quite tasty for flavoring!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for sharing this recipe! I used your experience with the apples and put them (Virginia Winesap) on top of the pork roast after I put the carrots below it halfway through cooking. Everything cooked perfectly and the apples had a firmness you might expect from baked apples. Absolutely delicious and plenty left over!

    ReplyDelete