Monday, October 11, 2010

Nonie's Chicken And Dumplings

Most of the time I completely wing making chicken and dumplings and well it isn't always what I hope it to be! But I saw this recipe on a new blog find and fell in love with it. It looked WONDERFUL!! So I had to try it especially once I realized I had extra chicken broth to use up!

Nonie's Chicken and Dumplings-shared from Lick The Bowl Good
3 tbsp butter
1 onion, chopped
1 cup chopped carrots
1 bunch of celery, chopped
2-3 cups chopped chicken
6-8 cups chicken broth

Dumplings:
2 cups flour(whole wheat and ap)
4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 tbsp italian seasoning
2 tbsp shortening
3/4-1 cup buttermilk

Saute onions, carrots, and celery for 5-10 mins. Add in chicken broth and bring to a boil. Dump in chicken.

While soup is boiling mix together the dry ingredients for the dumplings. Cut in the shortening until crumbly. Slowly add in buttermilk until batter is moistened but not wet. Drop by tbsp into boiling stew, cover and let the dumplings steam for 15 mins. DO NOT STIR while they are cooking.

Stir dumplings into soup once they are done. The flour from the dumplings will thicken the stew.

**I have no idea what I did different this time, but these were some of the best chicken and dumplings I have ever had, never mind made! My sister did agree! YUM!

1 comment:

  1. This is how I do my chicken & dumplings too. Easy and delicious! Glad you found one you love :)

    ReplyDelete