Saturday, October 2, 2010

Apple Cheddar Soup

I've had this recipe for a few years...and this is the first time I made it! Not sure why I waited so long, but it was worth it! Sorry I can't give credit to who shared the recipe as I can't remember what magazine it was from!

I will say that I used the leftover broth from the Apple Braised Chicken, I didn't want to throw away all that goodness as it was quite a bit, so you can use that or follow this recipe!

Apple Cheddar Soup
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 tbsp butter
2 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
2 cups apple cider
1/2 tsp dried thyme, crushed
1/2 tsp salt
dash of cayenne(omitted by mistake)
1-2 apples, peeled, chopped
1/2 cup milk
2 tbsp flour
1-2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese

In a hot pan, melt butter and cook onions for about 5 mins. Stir in potatoes, cider, thyme, salt and cayenne. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 15 mins. Add in apples, simmer, covered for 5 mins or until potatoes are tender. In a small bowl combine milk and flour, stir slowly into soup. Cook and stir until bubbly. Slowly add in cheese, whisking until cheese is melted.

** Because I used the broth leftovers, I did add in some fresh apples. I also partly "baked" the potatoes in the microwave for about 5 mins. This was due to the fact that I didn't read the directions. I actually really liked the sweet/salty that the soup gave for flavor using the broth. I probably had more soup than the 2 cups of cider, so I did up the flour by about 2 tbsp. It thickened up nicely.

I did try this without chicken in it and then decided because I had so much chicken leftover to add it in. I liked it a lot better with out the chicken! But feel free to add it in especially if you want a bulkier soup! I may even make this again, as I pureed most of it for my mom.

No comments:

Post a Comment