Thursday, October 7, 2010

Panera Bread Broccoli Cheese Soup

I was looking for a thick and creamy Broccoli Cheese Soup for my mom. I knew we both love Panera's version, so I searched online and found this one.

I am also finding that most recipes call for velveeta and after talking to a friend we decided not to go with it as its not a "real food".

But if you have a thick and creamy recipe, please do share!

Panera Bread Broccoli Cheese Soup-shared from CDKitchen.com
1 tbsp +1/4 cup butter
1 onion, chopped
1/4 cup flour
2 cups half and half
2 cups stock
1/2 lb fresh or frozen broccoli
1 cup carrots, chopped
salt and pepper to taste
1/4 tsp nutmeg
8 oz grated sharp cheddar cheese

Saute onion in 1 tbsp butter until soft. Set aside. Add melt remaining butter in pan, add in flour and whisk for 3-4 mins. Stir constantly and slowly add the half and half in. Add the chicken stock whisking the whole time. Simmer for 20 mins.

Add in the broccoli, carrots, and onions. Cook over low heat until the veggies are tender for 20-25 mins. Add in salt and pepper. Soup should be thickened by now. Pour into batches into blender and puree. Return to pot, add in cheese, stir until well blended and cheese is melted. Stir in nutmeg.

**It wasn't exactly like the one you get at the restaurant...it was still great and tasted good, but it wasn't creamy and thick. It could have been a user error...someday I'll find one exactly like I'm looking for, but it could be that it has velveeta in it that makes it creamy!

1 comment:

  1. I make mine with potatoes. I just finely chop them and they dissolve into the soup and thicken it. I also use evaporated milk and it gets creamy and thick without Velveeta or flour/butter.

    ReplyDelete