Friday, October 8, 2010

Pumpkin Chocolate Pudding

I was trying to come up with a snack for A to take to preschool...I know they have a lot of  processed snacks so at least I know if I send in a homemade snack he gets it occasionally here. Sometimes I cringe about the stuff they give him, but its preschool and it won't necessarily kill him to have it once in a while.

I had a bit of pumpkin leftover that I needed to use up and was looking for a pumpkin pudding...but then I wasn't sure the kids would like it. So I decided to do chocolate instead, then A informs me he wants vanilla pudding. Thankfully, a fellow blogger came to my rescue so I made the pumpkin choc and vanilla! Thanks Michelle!

Make sure to check us out on Facebook!

Pumpkin Chocolate Pudding-shared from All Home Cooking.All Year Long
2 cups milk
1 cup pureed pumpkin(not pie filling)
1/4 cup cocoa powder, unsweetened
1/2 cup sugar
2 tbsp corn starch

Combine 1 1/2 cups milk, sugar, and cocoa in a heavy saucepan. Whisk together. Turn on heat and bring to a steam, not quite boiling. Do not boil. Whisk occassionally.  Whisk together cornstarch and rest of milk, slowly add it into the chocolate mix and whisk, continue heating until thickened. Should coat the back of the spoon.

**Mine did not thickened up once it cool, so I pulled it back out and put it back on the stove. I added another tbsp of cornstarch and milk(mixed together) and whisked it into the pudding. I then let it cook for another 5-10 mins and chilled it. I went with a total of 3 tbsp of cornstarch because the vanilla one I make uses that much. Not sure if I didn't cook it enough or not, but just a warning.

Michelle was right you can NOT taste the pumpkin in the pudding. It was quite tasty and a huge hit at preschool, so much so it didn't get a picture taken of it!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds good! I've never made homemade pudding and this sounds pretty healthy. I'm going to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds yummy, and a healthy treat for the kiddos.

    ReplyDelete