Saturday, February 20, 2010

Broccoli Cauliflower Cheese Soup

Now that it is the beginning of Lent, I've had to look from some new meatless dinners for Friday night. Little did I know that technically chicken broth counts...but I was still craving this soup. K is NOT a fan of broccoli and he is NOT allowed to voice that opinion in front of the boys. I on the other hand LOVE it and actually craved it while I was pregnant with Q. But I figured there was cheese in it so K would like it. The original recipe comes from For the Love of Cooking, but I had some cauliflower to use up so I added it!

Broccoli Cauliflower Cheese Soup- adapted from For The Love Of Cooking

1 head cauliflower,chopped
8 oz sharp cheddar cheese,shredded
1 qt chicken broth
2 cups milk
2- 9 oz pkg frozen broccoli
1 onion, chopped
2 tbsp butter
2 tbsp flour
salt and pepper

Place cauliflower in 2 cups of stock and steam. Once fork tender, mash with a potato masher.  In the bottom of a stock pot(can use the same one you use for the cauliflower, just move it to another bowl). Melt butter and add in onion, let cook for about 5 mins until softened. Sprinkle in flour and let sit for 1 min. Slowly add in milk and broth stirring constantly until thickened. Season with salt and pepper. Add in cheese and stir until melted. Drop in broccoli and simmer until tender. Add in cauliflower and stir until warmed through. This is delicious served with whole wheat french rolls.

**My soup did not thicken as much as I would have liked, but I did cut down the butter/flour. It was still delicious. You can keep the cauliflower in whole pieces vs. the mashed, I was just trying to hide it. Also make sure you use block cheese and shred it yourself. I find the previously shredded kind you buy in the store does not melt well and it becomes...chewy I think is the right word I'm going for. It just gives it a chunkier texture than a smooth one. And go ahead and splurge on the high fat, extra sharp cheddar cheese. It is SO worth it! This does re-heat well!

No comments:

Post a Comment