Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Mexican Stuffed Shells

I found this recipe for Black Bean and Spinach Egg Rolls while searching for vegetarian recipes. I watch a little boy 2 days a week and have to provide lunch for him. I wanted to be creative so when I stumbled upon this I immediately put them on our menu. The egg rolls themselves are one of the best things I have ever had and one of my favorite dishes. I have been wanting to make them again, but I keep forgetting the wrappers so I decided to try this recipe.

Mexican Stuffed Shells

26 shells, cooked according to pkg
1 can black beans, rinsed, drained(or 1 2/3 cup cooked dry beans)
2 cups frozen corn, thawed
2 cups reduced fat Mexican cheese, divided
1 pkg chopped frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
2 tsp chili powder
2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2-3/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1 jar salsa
1 pt roasted cherry tomatoes

Mix together beans, spinach, 1 cup cheese, corn, and spices. Place tomatoes and salsa in blender or food processor. Blend until smooth.  Spread some sauce on the bottom of the pan.  Spoon mixture into shells. Place sauce over shells and cover with 1 cup cheese.  Place in 350 degree oven for 30-35 mins.


**if you are not a fan of spicy food I would tone down the cayenne and chili powder. My spice tolerance must be getting better as they border lined spicy for me, but it didn't last long. The tomatoes aren't really needed, but I needed to use them up. You can also use a can of diced or more salsa.



Kid's Help: count out shells, measure spices, wash tomatoes

1 comment:

  1. Looks yummy - your second award is waiting on my blog here http://actingbalanced.blogspot.com/2010/02/awards.html

    ReplyDelete