Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Buttermilk Orange Cranberry Muffins

I had some cranberries still frozen in the freezer since Christmas. I love the combo of orange and cranberry in muffins, scones, or bread. I quickly looked up a recipe on Taste of Home. I probably should have looked around more, but this one sounded good...and realized I didn't have enough oj. So I improvised as the dough was very thick without it. The result was a perfectly browned, moist muffin.

Buttermilk Orange Cranberry Muffins- adapted from Taste of Home
2 cups whole wheat flour
1 tbsp orange zest
juice of one orange
3/4 cup buttermilk
1/3 cup sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
1 cup chopped cranberries(fresh or frozen)
1 egg

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix together flour, soda, powder, salt, and sugar. Add in zest, juice, buttermilk,egg, and applesauce. Stir. Fold in cranberries. Divide into muffin tin and cook about 15-20 mins or until toothpick inserted comes clean. I had 24 mini muffins and 6 regular sized muffins.

**Next time I will add more sugar, while they are good they are a bit tart.

No comments:

Post a Comment