Monday, April 12, 2010

Blue Cheese Chicken and Penne

K and I love blue cheese or Gorgonzola. I am always looking for new ways to use it and love when I find it in a recipe! This one sounded very easy to make and sounded very decadent. It was definitely something you could find in a "fancy" restaurant. You can use Gorgonzola in this recipe, if you prefer.

Blue Cheese Chicken and Penne- from Taste of Home 2010
1 1lb pkg penne pasta, cooked
1 lb boneless chicken breast, sliced or cubed
1 large garlic clove, minced
1/2 cup white wine(I used pinot grigio)
1 cup cream
1/2 cup chicken broth
2 cups crumbled blue cheese(about 8 oz)
6-8 sage leaves thinly sliced(omitted)
salt and pepper to taste

Brown chicken in a little oil until done, add in garlic and cook for 1 min. Add in wine, making sure to pull up brown bits from the bottom of the pan.  Add cream and broth, cook until slightly thickened and chicken is no longer pink. Stir in cheese and cook until melted. Drain penne and add to chicken mixture. Stir to combine. Serve with parm cheese sprinkled on the top.

**My sauce didn't thicken up all that much until I added the cheese. I think it as because I doubled the wine and broth. I like it saucy and not dry. Next time I won't use as much pasta either, it did seem like there wasn't enough sauce for the amount of pasta. You can make more sauce too. The pasta may have also absorbed some of the liquid as well. K really liked it, it had a nice flavor too!

2 comments:

  1. I love blue cheese - this pasta sounds fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks delicious....it's too bad I don't like blue cheese! :)

    ReplyDelete