Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Gyro Burgers

I stumbled upon this recipe in two different places and wanted to give them a try. I combined two recipes, one came from The Taste of Home 2009 Recipe Collection and the other one came from my Aunt's quilt guild cookbook.

Gyro Burgers
1 lb ground beef(or ground turkey)
1/2 onion, diced
3/4 tsp oregano
2 cups plain yogurt(I used greek and sour cream)
2 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp onion powder
2 tsp dried chives
2 tsp dried parsley
1/4 tsp ground pepper
1/2 tsp salt
1 cucumber, seeded, peeled,chopped
pita
mozzerella cheese

Mix one cup of yogurt with seasonings(except oregano). Place half the mixture in with meat, oregano, and onions. Mix meat together and form patties, grill until done to your likeness. Take the rest of the yogurt and mix it with the cucumber and 1 cup of plain yogurt to make the sauce. Stir and place in fridge. Once burgers are done, place in pitas and top with sauce.

**There was something in the sauce that gave it quite a kick, I'm not sure if it was the garlic or the pepper(which I did cut down in this recipe). Once it was combined with the burger and bread, it was good. Now I've never had a gyro before, but these were good and different, but I can't compare them to the real taste of a gyro!

4 comments:

  1. It looks yummy! I've never had a real gyro either though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gyros, the original, are my fave food ever! Heather, you need to try them...
    I'm going to be making this over the weekend! My cousin was looking for something different to make for tonight and I passed it on to her too!
    The burgers look wonderful and moist!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We love Gyros around here...we have a great Greek take-out place about 10 minutes away. The Gyros are AMAZING and made with Lamb, Beef, or Chicken, tomato, lettuce, red onion, feta, and tzaziki sauce. MMmmmmm....

    ReplyDelete
  4. This would be good with ground lamb, too. :-)

    I have an award for you on my blog.
    http://www.halleethehomemaker.com/2010/04/blog-award-prolific-blogger-award/

    ReplyDelete