Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Oatmeal Cream Pie Cookies

Who doesn't love a Little Debbie Oatmeal Cream Pie? YUM! Unfortunately, we don't buy them anymore, but thanks to Michelle she shared a recipe for them and decided to try them out. The filling I used is just a regular butter cream (but Michelle's recipe has a more authentic filling ) so if you are looking for that make sure to check out her recipe.

Oatmeal Cream Pie Cookies- adapted from All home cooking
1 cup butter, softened
3/4 cup dark brown sugar
1 tbsp molasses(I substituted maple syrup)
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla
2 eggs
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1 1/2 cups quick cook oatmeal
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder(do not use black or dark)
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon

Filling- I used this recipe for butter ceam, but like I mentioned check out the original!

Cream together the butter and sugars. Add in syrup. Beat in each egg one at a time. Add in vanilla. Mix together remaining ingredients and gradually add them into the butter mixture. Once everything is incorporated, place dough in fridge for 30 mins.

Once chilled, scoop dough out by tbsp and place on parchment lined cookie sheet.(I used non-stick cookie sheets and they worked great) Place in 350 degree oven for 10 mins, DO NOT OVERBAKE, they will look a little under done. Some of my cookies I made smaller(only got 16 sandwiches total) and even the smaller cookies took 10 mins.

Allow cookies to cool and spread with filling.

**These were excellent. My cookies seemed to come out a little thicker than Michelle's, but they still tasted wonderful. K ALMOST knew what they were without me telling him, but his taste buds are off due to allergeries so he is forgiven. Q sat at my feet waiting for more once he got one little taste...

2 comments:

  1. Awesome! They are soooo good, aren't they? :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes they are! my 3 yr old came upstairs with one for breakfast this morning. he said he just wanted one.

    ReplyDelete