Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Whole Wheat English Muffin Bread

A has been asking for toast...and well its hard to make toast with no bread. This is another recipe I found in the quilt guild cookbook and decided we needed to try it out!

Whole Wheat English Muffin Bread
3 cups whole wheat flour
2 cups white flour
1 tbsp+1 1/4 tsp yeast
1 tbsp sugar
2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking soda
2 cup warm milk
1/2 cup warm water
2 tbsp cornmeal, divided(optional)

Combine flour, yeast, salt, and baking soda in stand mixer bowl. Add warm milk and water. Beat on low for 30 seconds. Scraping bowl as needed. Beat on high for 3 mins(I could only go about med. speed or the mix flew out!) Stir in remaining flour, batter will be stiff. DO NOT KNEAD!!! Coat 2 bread pan loafs with cooking spray and sprinkle pan with 1 tbsp corn meal. Spoon batter into pans and sprinkle with the rest of the cornmeal. Cover and let rise for 45 mins or until doubled.

Place in oven at 350 degrees for 30-35 mins until golden brown. Remove from the pan immediately.

*I put the cornmeal optional because when I turned the bread out a good majority of it fell off, so next time I will skip it!

**This was a quick and easy bread to make. It actually did taste just like an english muffin. I fell in love with it and Q really liked it as well. A did get his toast, did he eat it? No, he decided he'd be 3 and not eat it...sigh...
You can mix up the flavors, perhaps a cinnamon raisin or honey oat.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for posting this! Sounds good, I'll give it a shot when I make bread this week.

    ReplyDelete