Thursday, April 22, 2010

Homemade Pop-tarts

I've seen these in a few different blogs lately and I couldn't wait to try them. I need one pie crust for tomorrow's dinner(yes I could have easily just made half the recipe), but I figured if I'm already making the dough why not? A asked me what I was making so I told him, he gave me a funny look and told me he didn't like them. He has actually never had a "real" pop tart.

Homemade Pop Tarts
1 recipe for pie crust
your choice of filling: jelly, preserves, chocolate, butter w/cinnamon sugar, etc
*I used Polaner All fruit in raspberry and peach

Roll out dough into thin crust. Cut dough into square(unless you rolled it into a square). Cut dough into smaller squares. Place 2 tsp of filling on each piece of dough. Fold dough over and seal with either your fingers or a fork. Make sure to poke some holes in the top to vent. Place in 350 degree oven for 15-20 mins until golden brown.

**I did a bit of experimenting with my original pie crust and used half whole wheat and half all purpose flour. It seemed to work very well! These were EXCELLENT, but I put too much filling it. The recipe does show it revised. Avery ate a couple bites, I'm not sure he was impressed. But I was! The amount of filling you put in will depend on the size of the pop tarts. Mine were pretty small.

2 comments:

  1. I am super excited to try these! You must be makin' my Italian Shepherds Pie tomorrow! ;)

    ReplyDelete