Sunday, April 25, 2010

Homemade Cream Soup

This is one recipe I have yet to try as I've just been avoiding anything that has a cream of soup base. I found a Honey Dijion chicken casserole recipe(its coming soon I promise) and I apparently missed the part where it said I need to make cream soup first. It isn't hard to make, just and extra step and my patience is sometimes lacking when it comes to things needing to thicken. I usually have to occupy my time while I wait with other cooking or cleaning.

Homemade Cream Soup-shared from Kitchen Stewardship
3/4 cup butter
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
2 cups broth
4 cups milk
chopped onion(optional)

Melt butter in pan, add in onions and saute for 5 mins if you use them for extra flavor. Whisk in flour and let cook for 1-2 mins. Gradually add milk and broth stirring constantly. Let cook for 15-20 mins until thickened.

*I used 2 cups of water and 1 vegetable bouillon in case I decide I want to use this in a vegetarian dish later. This makes enough for 4 "cans" of soup. I used 2 cups in my casserole, which was plenty and then froze 2 containers for a later use. Some say it will separate, others say it will be fine, so we shall see what happens. My soup didn't seem to be as thick as some soup that I have seen. There was no picture in the original recipe so I'm not sure how thick it should have been. I got sick of waiting after at least a half hour!

 For mushroom soup: add in chopped sauted mushrooms to taste, with butter.
For celery soup: add in 1/4-1/2 cup chopped sauted celery with butter
For cheese soup: add in shredded cheese and allow it to melt. Sharp cheddar gives the best flavor
For broccoli: add in chopped broccoli once soup base as been made.

2 comments:

  1. great idea on the homemade cream soup! seems better than buying cans of campbells!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The cream of chicken soup that I made didn't separate in the freezer at all. I made it about a month ago and it's been working out great.

    ReplyDelete