Friday, April 23, 2010

Homemade French Bread

We are having a girls night out this week and I decided to make hummus and bread to bring along with me. I needed a good bread recipe, so I turned to Hallee. Thanks Hallee!

Homemade French Bread-shared from Hallee the Homemaker
3 cups white flour
4 cups whole wheat flour
1 tbsp kosher salt
1 tbsp butter, melted
2 pkg dry yeast(or 4 1/2 tsp)
2 1/2 cups warm water( between 120-130 degrees)

Place some warm water in the bottom of your bowl and dump out. Add in 2.5 cups of water and yeast. Let sit for 5 mins. Add in butter and salt. Slowly mix in flour. Dough will be wet.(I did this in my stand mixer with the paddle for about 1 min). Kneed for 10 mins or 2 mins in your stand mixer(with bread hook) on setting #2.

Place in a greased bowl, cover with a towel and let rise for 1 hr.

Punch dough down and divide in half. Roll dough out into a 12X15 inch rectangle. Starting with the longer edge tightly roll into the center, tuck in ends. Place on greased cookie sheet that has been dusted with corn meal. Repeat with second piece. Cut slices in top, cover with towel and let rise for another hour.

Cook for 25-35 mins at 450 degrees.

**One loaf its going to girl's night tonight and then I used another 1/2 of the loaf to make french bread pizza today and it was fabulous!

1 comment: