Monday, April 12, 2010

Cooking fails...

Sometimes I just have a recipe that just doesn't work! I've had 2 lately and it seems so depressing, but when I think about all the things I have made it doesn't seem like a lot!

I attempted to make a Red Velvet Cake for Easter. My mom never had it, so I told her I would make it. I turned to my friend who I know has awesome recipes, which I won't mention because I have discussed it with her. It could have been something was left out, or something was up with my ingredients, who knows really. I expected a moist, fluffy cake, and well it was quite dense...I was so disappointed in it! The frosting with it, was divine. So perhaps I can share the cream cheese frosting recipe.

Another thing I attempted to make was homemade caramel sauce. I needed it for a apple cookie pizza I was making for Q's birthday(recipe to come). I looked up a couple recipes and choose one. I choose this one as it did not call for corn syrup as another recipe I looked at did. The reviews suggested to use evoaporated milk instead of cream, which I knew I had. So I went with it...I did half brown sugar and half white sugar. Now this recipe said DO NOT STIR until all the sugar is dissolved. So I put on my patient shoes and waited for it melt...and waited...and waited.  Finally it seemed to have melted, so I gave it a stir and let it come to a boil. Let it boil for 5-10 mins, while stirring and what I thought was a nice caramel color(of course it is, it was dark brown sugar), poured in the milk...but it didn't seem to bubble like the recipe said it would. Ok, no big deal, I'm sure it will still be fine. Let it boil another 5-10 mins it seemed thin when I was done, but the recipe said to let it cool...I did and ended up with lumpy caramel. The flavor was good, but who wants lumpy caramel. So I tried to save it by reheating it...it didn't work. So it got dumped...someday maybe I will try again.

I did find another recipe, that I will share. It was good in the recipe, but it didn't have a strong caramel flavor, but it did work in a pinch.

No comments:

Post a Comment