Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Coconut Rice and Sweet Potatoes

I'm not sure what my appeal is to coconut is lately, but I seem to see coconut and I must try the recipe. This one I found in our local paper. The original recipe also calls for a 10 oz bag of edamame, but I did not have it, but it was great without it!

Coconut Rice and Sweet Potatoes
1 tsp olive or canola oil
1 cup peeled, diced sweet potatoes(I used 1.5)
1 tbsp minced fresh ginger
1 to 1 1/4 cup jasmine rice*
15 oz can coconut milk(I used lite)
1 1/2 tbsp lime juice
1 tsp salt
1 cup water
1 tsp lime zest(which I didn't have)
1/2 cup chopped peanuts
coconut

*I use a little bit more than a cup of brown jasmine rice, if you use white go ahead and use 1 1/4 cups.
In a large saucepan with a lid, heat the oil up. Add in sweet potatoes and ginger. Cook for about 4 mins.(Mine did take a little longer as I had to make sure all the potatoes got to the heat). Stir in rice, milk, juice, water, and salt. Bring to a boil, then cover, reduce heat to a simmer, and cook until the rice is tender and the liquid has been absorbed, about 15 mins.(Mine seemed to take more like 20-25 mins) Use a fork to fluff the rice and add in the lime zest, stir. Serve topped with peanuts and coconut.

**This was delicious! I wasn't sure how it was going to be with the sw. potato even though it sounded really good. I'm sure the zest would have made it even better. The boys almost ate it even...A ate the rice at least.

No comments:

Post a Comment