Thursday, April 8, 2010

Lactose Free Ice Cream

This coming Sunday we are finally celebrating Q's first birthday. I decided I was going to make ice cream, but felt bad as I think he might be lactose intolerant. They do make rice milk ice cream and lactose free ice cream, but I wasn't going to pay $4+ for a pint of ice cream. So I decided to make my own. My friend Lori, from Teacher Turned Mommy shared a regular ice cream recipe with me so I switched out the milk with rice and lactose free milk.

Lactose Free Ice Cream
2 cups original rice milk
2 cups lactose free milk
3/4 cup sugar
1.5 tsp vanilla

Pour milks into bowl, add in vanilla and sugar. Whisk until sugar is dissolved. Pour into ice cream maker and churn according to machine's directions. I let mine go about 45 mins and added in some chopped dark chocolate after 20 mins. Pour ice cream into freezer container and freeze until solid.

**I couldn't help it...we all tried it while it was churning. It was delicious! Q loved it! A told me it was too cold and K thought it was too sweet. I may play around with the sugar a bit, but the dark chocolate did cut some of the sweetness. I only added the chocolate because I know Q won't eat it all and well vanilla is just boring! This does freeze VERY hard, so you may want to take it out before you need it. My brother and Q had to wait for everyone else to eat it before they could have theirs! My brother said it "wasn't bad" but what does he know anyway (and yes he isn't supposed to have lactose)!!

No comments:

Post a Comment