Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Beef Pot Pie

This clearly wasn't on the menu this week, but my husband and boys have been sick. K called on the way home yesterday wanting soup, which is great, but I didn't have any. So I told him I could make some, which took part of the veggie beef soup I was going to make and I didn't want another soup. This recipe was on the same page as the ricotta pancakes, but I didn't follow it, just got the idea!

Beef Pot Pie
1 lb stew beef, cubed
1 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp flour
2-3 small potatoes, cubed
4-5 carrots, sliced
1 large onion, diced
3-4 celery stalks, sliced
2 bay leaves
1 tsp dried thyme
1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp italian seasoning
3-4 cups water
2 beef bouillon cubes
1/4 cornstarch(more or less may be needed)+water
1 batch crescent roll dough
salt and pepper to taste

Place oil in pan and brown meat season with salt and pepper. (I use a large stock/soup pot) Sprinkle with flour and stir. Let cook 1-2 mins. Add in veggies, spices, water, and bouillon. There should be enough water so that it covers all the ingredients.Bring to a boil and lower heat to a simmer. Mix together cornstarch and 1/4 cup water add to "soup". This should thicken it up nicely, you may need to add more cornstarch and water until it is the thickness you like. Simmer on the stove for 1-2 hours until meat is tender. **This can also be transferred to a Crockpot and cooked on low for 8 hrs or high for 4 hrs.

Once filling is done, roll out dough and place on top of "stew". This was enough stew for me to get 2 8x8 pans, so one will be going in the freezer. Bake at 350 degrees for 15-20 mins until crust is golden brown.

**This was tasty, I kept adding more seasonings as I felt something was missing. Not sure what yet, but it was still delicious and something we don't have very often!

No comments:

Post a Comment