Friday, April 9, 2010

Homemade Ice Cream

I have now made 2 batches of ice cream for the party on sunday. My mom asked if I was serving everyone lactose free ice cream and I told her no. But if no one knew it had rice milk in it, you would never know the difference. My brother always gives me funny looks when I mention rice milk, its not all that bad. Anyway...onto the recipe! Lori also shared this recipe, its from Emeril. I adapted it a bit with less sugar as K said it was too sweet. Hopefully our birthday guesses will love it too!

Homemade Ice Cream
4 cups half and half(or 2 cups cream/2 cups milk)
1/2 cup sugar
2 tsp vanilla
pinch of salt

Place ingredients in a bowl and whisk until sugar is dissolved. Place in ice cream maker and run according to manufacturer's instructions. I ran mine for about 30-40 mins. About 15-20 mins you can add in any mix ins you wish. Once done, pour into a freezer safe bowl and freeze until ready to use!

-I made peanut butter cup, where I used the basic recipe and added in chopped peanut butter cups.
-I also made a mint chocolate chip, with a 1/2 tsp peppermint extract instead of the vanilla and add in 1/2-3/4 cup chopped chocolate(I used some dark chocolate). You can also use mini chocolate chips.

3 comments:

  1. So did you make this recipe with rice milk? I would love to start using cow milk alternatives, as dairy really does congest my daughters and me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michelle, if you look further down, I posted the recipe using rice milk and lactose free milk. I think it would work fine with all rice milk too. I think soy would do well too, we just don't do soy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The ice cream was delicious and the kids had a delightful time at Q's party! :)

    ReplyDelete